August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Shoutbox

A public matter.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A public matter.

Post by Carl Jordan on Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:14 pm

Roughly a week after the July gathering, Father Strange enters the art gallery, finds a comfortable-looking chair, and sits. He seems to be waiting for something.
Carl Jordan
Sponsor
Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Re: A public matter.

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:18 pm

Making his rounds of the Elysiums. Lord Bradford arrives at the art gallery to the sight of Father Strange sitting, waiting.

"Good evening, Father. How is the night treating you?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Carl Jordan on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:57 pm

"Lord Bradford," he says with a nod of greeting.

"The night treats me fair enough, no worse than I deserve, I'm sure." He smiles pleasantly.

"I hope you don't mind if I sit here for a while. I'm hoping to meet someone."
Carl Jordan
Sponsor
Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:52 pm

"Of course not," he motions to the gallery, "What is Elysium for if not a place to gather and meet? Do they know to meet you, or would you like me to get in contact with whomever it is? I have means to contact pretty much everyone within the city."

Back to top Go down

Post by Carl Jordan on Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:35 am

"A message has been given, through the appropriate channels." he says cryptically.
Carl Jordan
Sponsor
Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambria on Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:34 pm

"Indeed it has."

There was no loud entrance this time, no throwing the doors wide to announce herself.
She was just there standing in the foray, eyes shaded by dark spectacles. A seeming young man flanked her as she moved towards the duo.

"Mister Jack says you would have words with me. What is so important that cannot be said in missive and must be aired in public?"

Ambria
Sponsor
Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Carl Jordan on Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:29 pm

Strange stands and gives a small bow to Elena.

"Thank you for coming to meet me, Your Grace. I hope the evening treats you well. I'll endeavour to be to the point and not waste your time any more than needed.

"I have reason to believe an officer of your court has attacked and abused the retainer of, stolen property from, and continually disrespects a valued elder of your city, and I would like to know what you plan to do about it."
Carl Jordan
Sponsor
Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambria on Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:46 pm

Elena smiles.

"Alder Blackmoore will always be valued in my eyes as well..if not in the Courts. This hopefully be changing soon."

Her smile fades, as her features change to one of concern.

"But I am confused. As leader of your Covenant (as much as I can assume) fellow clan-mate and elder why am I hearing this from you and not her?
Is she not well? She recently addressed the Roses, what has happened between now and then?"

Ambria
Sponsor
Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Carl Jordan on Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:23 pm

Strange smiles a smile that never touches his eyes.

"Your Grace, with all due respect, you and I both know a Valued member of court cannot be stripped of status for abstaining to take sides in a petty argument, as Miss Kitty seems to believe. There is an agreed upon list of actions deemed sins against the city, and she was guilty of none of them. While I do find Miss Kat's enthusiastic reports entertaining, she shows her age when she continues childishly berating other officers, like Jack, for being good at his job and not telling everyone your business.

"But this isn't about her. This it's about Lillian Blackmoore.

"She is fine, by the way! Thank you so much for asking. I'd say she's being unusually rational, all things considered, and I'm very proud of her for that. Why, I remember a time not too long ago that she would have been on the verge of riding the red wave at the news that a Sanctified Relic had been lost due to the direct manipulation of her most trusted servant. And by a Neonate. And in Your Grace's presence, none the less.

"Yet, she is not. She is, instead, being coldly logical enough to offer prestation to an uninvolved third party to see the matter resolved through our society's time honored system. I assume this decision allows her to distance herself from this matter, so that she may focus her attention on your clan without simply letting it slide yet again.

"And so, here I am. Would you care to have a seat with me, Your Grace?"
Carl Jordan
Sponsor
Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:37 pm

"I can give you two some privacy if you wish...perhaps the back room, or I can open the back up to our city's Kindred and lock the doors to this room?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Meg Johnson on Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:59 pm

Robin walks in with a easy air about her. Her colors were oddly muted for her usual taste in clothing. However, her bangles were very much in place and jingled as she stepped through the door. Her glassy eyes took in the area, falling on the small congregation of individuals inside.
"Your Grace! What a wonderful evening. Did.....did I interrupt something?" Her eyes dart between Father Strange and the Prince.

Meg Johnson
Admin
Admin

http://Opium-Aether.Deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Carl Jordan on Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:08 pm

"Lord Bradford, I have no need for this to be made private. I have nothing to hide, and I'm sure Her Grace doesn't either.... Does she?" He looks the question towards Elena before turning to address the newcomer.

"Robyn! So good to see you. You did interrupt something, but I'd be happy to catch you up, if Her Grace approves it."
Carl Jordan
Sponsor
Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Carl Jordan on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:44 pm

Strange turns back to the Prince and continues, "with any luck, this little incident can even serve as an excellent teaching opportunity to our younger kindred on how well our social system works to resolve grievances without resorting to physical or political warfare."
Carl Jordan
Sponsor
Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambria on Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:07 pm

Elena doesn't acknowledge the newest arrival, nor does she break her gaze when Richard suggests a private room. She remains standing, hands clasped in front of her; eyes only on the Sanctified Haunt.

"....Da, our.."social system". A lesson you say?  Then you have already failed in giving such lesson, for when two Kindred quarrel they are first expected to work it out among themselves. If they cannot agree they are to seek out the next highest authority; be it leader if of same Covenant, or Prisci if of same Clan. After that it is to go to Harpy.

If..and only if the harpies are unable to reach a conclusion and this feud threatens the balance of the city than it comes to the Prince, usually with dire consequences for both parties for it having to go that far."  Her smile matches Strange's now.

"I have feeling that you, acting supposedly on Alder Blackmoore's behalf have bypassed any and all of what I have just stated. For this is first I have heard of it. "

"You have spoken one mist-truth already in our discourse. You bother me with a simple matter of prestation with threats of retaliation if I do not comply, stating that you will take attempts of explanation or mediation as a political attack against yourself."

"Against....yourself. Not Alder Blackmoore, who you claim to be speaking for, no."

"My Court and my Court officers are not my unreleased Childer. They can and will speak for themselves and be accountable. To suggest otherwise is an affront to them and an insult to me.

So, unless Alder Blackmoore has a direct quarrel with me I suggest you go first to those she does, then to the Harpies. This is way things are done."

"Now is that all, or did you desire something else?"

Ambria
Sponsor
Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Carl Jordan on Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:54 pm

"Then I take it you are formally denying that any actions against Lillian were done with your knowledge or approval? If my quarrel is not with you, as you claim?"
Carl Jordan
Sponsor
Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambria on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:40 pm

Elena closes her eyes as her expression grows still.

After a few silent moments her eyes snap back open, a darker, more dangerous red.

I have taken no action to directly harm Alder Blackmoore." She says with a hiss as fangs appear between scarlet lips.

"She and her reputation has come under fire recently, due to the similarities between her attack on the Court some months ago and this most recent disappearance. My Officers sought out the truth in the most subtle way they could think of.
They did this as to not alert the entire Court to such a valued Elders affairs; something you seem unconcerned with."

"It is unfortunate that such a valuable servant came under fire..literally, but I had no control over such events. But as it was the Invictus Estate and I now speak for them I will offer prestation for whatever emotional damages might have occurred."

She moves forward till she's inches away from Father Strange's face.

"But, and let me make myself perfectly clear in this.
I am Prince.
I and I alone, hold Domain over this City. The Harpy is granted power through my voice. The Archon is granted right of destruction through my will. The Sheriff investigates at my hand."

"If I think someone is a danger to this city, to my Court, I will get to the bottom of it.
If I have to cull one to protect the entire herd I will do it, no matter what position, what status, what place that person holds.

"As such," her voice softens and she steps away.
"I also have no desire for this to become witch hunt. Old Ghosts wish for us to be divided, accusatory. I have no desire for such."

But you come to me with accusations and threats, trying to make what I considered a private affair a public one. You would have done better going to Harpy first.

I feel such a matter of retainer's feelings to be trivial one. If Alder Blackmore desire more, she can come speak to me herself. I feel that we are done here now.

She turns towards the door.

"Oh," she looks over her shoulder. "And if such relic was stolen from Circle first, is it really to be considered Sanctified? If it come from hands of murdered Crone Elder, does it not belong in hands of someone interested in solving such murder?"

She shrugs and continues her pace.

"In all things, I desire truth."

Ambria
Sponsor
Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Carl Jordan on Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:39 am

When Elena leans in close, Strange seems to be thinking something mischievous but restrains himself visibly. When she turns as if to leave the first time, his mouth opens as if to speak, then it shuts with an audible click as she turns around and changes subject suddenly, greeting her smug expression with a raised eyebrow.

As she turns to leave for the second time, Strange seems to gather his thoughts for a moment, taking in this woman and her verbal tactics. After she's crossed nearly to the door, he says one word seemingly calculated to stop this powerful woman in her tracks.

"Typical."

When he sees her stride falter, he looks up towards the ceiling before continuing, as if unconcerned whether she stays to listen to the rest.

"So disappointing.... You see, Your Grace, this is not the first matter over which Alder Blackmoore has had grievance with Miss Dalka. On the other matter, I understand Miss Dalka even apologized, in private of course. But when Alder Blackmoore asked her to perform a favor very similar to her crime, Miss Dalka pridefully refused, suddenly claiming no responsibility for her confessed actions."

He looks back down towards the Prince. "Now I see where she gets it. No wonder she is Royal Harpy."

He holds up an index finger as if counting. "Your Grace claims this started as an investigation into the connections between Alder Blackmoore's past and recent events, yet the book had nothing to do with those investigations. Stealing the book was a crime of opportunity, not a city matter."

A second finger goes up. "Your Grace claims our social ways dictate I should have gone straight to the Harpy and talked to her about her crimes." The sentiment 'as if you share no blame' is clear in his tone. "Yet Your Grace declined to go directly to Alder Blackmoore with any accusations or questions. Your Grace chides me for a tactic for which Your Grace has just demonstrated preference. And Why?"

Strange raises a third finger, saying, "Because when I do it, it's not behind closed doors, not a private meeting where one party can properly bully or cow the other party before making prestation public, as Your Grace says is the proper way."

He raises a fourth finger "Your Grace mentions the proper chain of communications, yet Your Grace, much like her Harpies, ignores the role of her Seneschal."

Strange's thumb comes out, making a spread hand. "And finally, Your Grace claims to desire truth. In all things. But Your Grace uses action to find truth, actions that do not match her words. And Your Grace uses words to teach that do not match her actions. The late Alexander Hayse once taught me: lest we plan to rule through fear alone, we must investigate with our words and teach through our actions."

He puts his hand down. "You are Prince. You hold domain over this city. You alone have Right of Destruction even here in this Elysium. I do not deny that. But I am not Alder Blackmoore, prone to emotional outburst when provoked. And I am no neonate to be cowed. Your prestation is owed to me, for I have traded prestation with Alder Blackmoore to take this offense as mine to bear. Until the covenant relic is returned, I do not believe this a Trivial matter, Your Grace.

"Also, if it pleases Your Grace, I have studied the now-missing Sanctified book and would have been happy to discuss its contents and history, as much as I've been able to work out, had Your Grace only asked. At no charge. Adler Blackmoore would have as well, before it was stolen. But that fact was never really in question, was it, Your Grace?"

"If Your Grace wishes to discuss the book in private, I would be happy to, just as soon as this lesson in the value of prestation is concluded to the satisfaction of all parties, as is supposed to be our way."

Strange bares his aged throat to the Prince, as if waiting for her to strike him down where he sits.
Carl Jordan
Sponsor
Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambria on Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:09 pm

Everyone always has to have one last word in. It did not matter the Clan, the Lineage, or the age, every Kindred felt entitled to say their peace.
Sometimes they said it through crack skulls and flayed lips, but they still said it nonetheless.

She turned and half-way listened to him count off things that were almost meaningless and served only to fill the air..or goad her into frenzy.

Standing in the doorway, Elena noted the other two presences here that had stayed muted during the entire discourse. She gave a quick smile to Lord Bradford and a polite nod to Robin.

When he finally finished and barred his throat as if on a dare she sighed.

"Are you finally finished with points or do you have more fingers that need counting?
Maybe use other hand this time too. Perhaps it lonely, need practice."

"No? Very well then."

"So, first you here on private not-so-private business, because you fear being alone with me. I admit, I am one of God's finer creatures, but I promise not everyone I come in contact with is smitten; probably to their sorrow.
Then you state you are on Alder Blackmoore's behalf, and are speaking for her, in her absence. This is fine.
But now, now we have changed song once more and you state you have paid Alder Blackmoore to take up this offense as your own? As in, you speak for self and not her, as you led me to believe in beginning?"

She shrugs. "My offer still stands and I will be informing the Harpy.  If your Covenant-mate so desires to give you such a favor is between you two.

"As to Georgette's book..I do believe that it found its way back to the Circle, somehow. I could make some inquiries.

"Well, this has been absolutely delightful. If you need anything else just inform Mister Jack. Good evening."

She stepped outside and firmly shut the door.

Ambria
Sponsor
Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Carl Jordan on Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:13 pm

Father Strange blinks at the door.

He turns his head to look at Bradford and Robin, as if hoping their reactions might shed some light on what just happened.

"I may never understand how so many of our kind manage to achieve power and age armed only with stubborn ignorance and blatant hypocrisy.

"I do believe that woman just spent a half hour talking while ignoring me completely."
Carl Jordan
Sponsor
Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Meg Johnson on Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:23 pm

Robin stood back and listened to the two elders squabble. She mentally applauded their ability to argue tactfully. It was a feature she often found lacking with in herself.

The mentioning of the sanctified relic had sparked Robins attention and made her perk up from her muted lounging. Promises had been made to return the Crone Relic back to where it belonged, but it had not found it's way home just yet.

She returned the Princes silent acknowledgment with a nod, but remained silent. Robin was fully enjoying the drama.

As the banter came to a finally crescendo and Robin's green eyes followed the Prince's exit. With a raised brow she turned towards Father Strange. A smile tugged gently at the corner of her lips. "Ah, Jonathan, I do not meddle in between a clash of titans."

Last edited by Meg Johnson on Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Meg Johnson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Carl Jordan on Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:56 pm

"Neither does her grace, it seems," Strange says wearily as he turns his attention to Robin.

"Normally I would apologize that you had to witness a squabble, but in truth I wanted this to be public. I wanted a demonstration of how our Prince handles grievances against herself or her court. It would appear the demonstration was successful.... She doesn't. This is an important lesson, Robin Hubble. It helps the whole city better navigate the waters when they understand the rockiness of the terrain."

He takes a small metal box from his pocket and presses a button on it. From his robes, he also produces a book and a fancy pen and unscrews the top from the pen. He presses more buttons, and the conversation plays back from the beginning as he copies it down in a fancy cursive script, stopping it occasionally to catch up.

"She seems to believe our stolen book belonged to Georgetta," he says to Robin as he writes, looking up at her. "Any idea why she thinks that?"
Carl Jordan
Sponsor
Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Meg Johnson on Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:06 pm

Robin listened with feigned interest as Father Strange made his well place remarks. "It seems one should be studious in all matters dealing with other Kindred." Her eyes narrowed slightly as she worked to navigate the waters she was treading in.

Her green eyes moved towards his gadget he was using to work in his book.  The sound of the conversation she had witness playing back from it, caught her interest. "That gizmo is fascinating! Can you explain to me how it works?" She fought the urge to snatch the device from Father Strange's hand and press all the buttons to figure out which ones made it tick.

As he mentioned the book that was in question, Robin's mood drooped just a little. "It is my understanding that the book did not belong to Georgetta, but The Circle. It was given to Elder Blackmore, by Georgetta for reasons that have been forgiven." Robin offered a slight shrug in response to his last question. "As to why she might think that, I would imagine that this retainer of Elder Blackmore's is the source of information. I honestly do not know."

Meg Johnson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Carl Jordan on Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:18 am

"Interesting," he says as he continues transcribing.

"Robin, I can assure you my missing book was never property of the Acolytes nor of Miss Redding. I do thank you for the tip, though. I will let Alder Blackmoore know to ask Josephine more on specifically what she said to her assailants about the book. Her tongue has likely grown back by now."

He finishes writing out the meeting details, then fiddles with his pocket recorder some more. "Here. It's called an MP3 recorder. And before you ask, I have no idea what that stands for. It is on a different file setting, now, so you can't record over anything by accident. If you want to try it out, press the red button to record and the green button to play back." He indicates the buttons as he talks and hands it to Robin.

As she plays with the device, he stands and walks towards the Elysium bulletin board reserved for kindred messages. He takes a small silver spear pendant from a bracelet on his wrist, and he uses the tiny spear to pin the transcription to the board. He steps back, gives a nod of satisfaction, then returns to the table where Robin is standing and looks towards Lord Bradford.

"So. Anything else exciting going on?" He seems to be trying to take in both of them with his question.
Carl Jordan
Sponsor
Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum