August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Shoutbox

Edward Dwyer for Mayor!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Edward Dwyer for Mayor!

Post by Admin on Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:51 pm

ST note: This speech is printed in every local paper and read off on the radio stations throughout town. A shorter clip, summarizing the candidates platform runs several times a day, and ends with "My name is Edward Dwyer, and I approve this message."

Edward Dwyer for mayor!

Ladies and gentleman.  For too long the people of this great city have been neglected.  Time and again the citizens of Dark Ridge have been let down.  I say no more!  If our leadership cannot provide for the well-being of the people of Dark Ridge, then it's time to clean out the rubbish and put someone in there that can!   This city has come to a crossroad, and now you have the power to change the political landscape of Dark Ridge. My name is Edward Dwyer, and if you elect me as mayor of Dark Ridge, there are several things I will do to ensure that your needs are met day in and day out across this great city.

First of all, I plan on proposing new legislation that will invest more tax dollars in our public schools, not only to meet the needs of today, but to encourage developing minds for the future. Such new funding would be used to hire and retain excellent teachers, build and renovate new schools, and give great tax breaks to classroom teachers. To accomplish this, I am proposing no new taxes increases, but rather a rechanneling of our existing tax revenue to meet these demands. Now, the incumbent and his staff have been talking about this for years with little progress. I plan to change all of this now.  After all, our children are the future of this great city.

Second, economic development is on the minds of most of you, particularly with regard to our buisiness district. For many years, economic prosperity has been neglected by current city leaders, and I plan to change all of that. I am proposing a city center revitalization project that would promote new businesses, new residential areas, and new open green areas to bring people back to the heart of our city. Current leaders have been working hard to put barriers in place to hurt the businesses of Dark Ridge.  I ensure you that I will do everything in my power to help our local businessmen and women.

And third, I am proposing real solutions to the city's current traffic problems.  Shutting down local businesses and throwing Dark Ridge's citizens out into the cold is not an option.  I will push for the creation of a Design Review Board that would oversee new roadway construction according to the design principles that reflect the historic nature of Dark Ridge.  This review board would also oversee the construction of sidewalks in areas where pedestrians travel, as well as build crosswalks that have high visibility markings, a pedestrian refuge island, and fluorescent yellow green pedestrian crossing signs that are in compliance with the North Carolina Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices. The board would also work towards installing pedestrian-activated flashing beacons.  I believe that making Dark Ridge safer does not have to come at the cost of jobs.  My opponent and his administration have lacked the vision of long-term solutions, preferring to take a look and see approach. Such a short sighted stance fails to consider the needs of future generations . . . our children and our grandchildren. My generation doesn't want to be remembered for a road we build today, but for a more visionary transportation system for our future.

If elected, I promise to give my all to my elected position and make sure your issues and concerns are fully addressed at the local, state,  and national level.

Thank you.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.darkridge.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum